The compressed file provided when creating a new activity on the platform should have this structure, the presence of folders being optional when they are empty:
- textos.csv: is the main ZIP file as it describes the content and configuration of each question in the compressed file. In each section of this document in which the engines are described, the details of the contents of that file are also detailed. As a general rule, it is a text file separated by “;” – the first line is the one that describes the columns that the document should contain.
- Each question in the compressed file should have an internal structure like this:
- images: the images folder contains the files used for painting the activity. Although the name of the files can vary between engines, as a general rule p.png is the file used in the formulation of the question; r1.png, r2.png, etc. are the names of the files for the answers consecutively. The file format supported is PNG.
- videos: as with the images, videos are left in this folder, repeating the schema p.mp4, r1.mp4, etc. The file format supported is MP4 with WEBM.
- audio: as with the images, audio sounds are left in this folder, repeating the schema p.mp3, r1.mp3, etc. The file format supported is MP3.
- At the root of the folder for the question, at the same level as the images, audio and video sub-folders, you can place a speech.mp3 file which will play automatically on loading that specific question. Also, on clicking on the upper right-hand button ‘Repeat Question’, you can listen to it again.
- Each question will have a folder starting with pr1, pr2, pr3, etc. which will repeat the structure described above.
- In all the engines the questions and answer options will be mixed up to avoid repeating the activities and give more interest to the same questions within the given activity.
QUESTION AND ANSWER ENGINE
The question and answer engine has these features:
- Only one of the answer options is correct.
- The description line of the CSV is: n;p;r1;r2;r3;r4;r5 => the n marks the level: 0 for default and 1-4 for levels from MCI to Expert; p contains the text of the question itself, which will be shown in the upper part of the training page; r1 is the right answer and r2-r5 are the other answers.
- If, within the folder structure, there is a question with p.png, r1.png, r2.png files, etc. or the same for audio or video files, these will be used in the question and/or answer sections. Whatever the case, only one of the multimedia files available will be used: images > audio > video.
Examples of CSV
1;Select the word that is a fruit;Pear;Gauze;Bowl;Friends;Pencil
2;Select the word that is a means of transport;Train;Sinusitis;Marriage;Fungus;Mars
3;Select the word that is a profession;Architect;Vehicle;Godfather;Neighbourhood;Firemen
4;Select the word that is a musical instrument;Banjo;Vowel;Throat;Defrost;Petal
1;Choose the name of the famous person in the photo;Luciano Pavarotti;Mariano Rajoy;Constantino Romero;Serrat;Santiago Carillo
2;Choose the name of the famous person in the picture: María Teresa Campos;Ana Obregón;Sophia Loren;Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Sophia of Greece
1;Which domino counter would you use with the one shown?;;;;;
3;Which form of transport is being used in the video?;Train;Car;Boat;Aircraft;Lorry
3;Which musical instrument was playing?;Guitar;Flute;Clarinet;Drum;Bagpipes
QUESTION AND ANSWER WITH WAITING TIME ENGINE
This is a very similar engine to the question/answer one but adds the option of introducing a waiting time with the screen blank after the question has been formulated. In contrast to the question/answer engine, when you introduce a waiting time the question and the answer options are not displayed at the same time; they are separated by a period of time with nothing showing on the screen.
The question and answer with waiting time engine has these features:
- The CSV description line is n;c;e;p;r1;r2;r3;r4;r5 => it is very similar to the question/answer one, but the ‘e’ column is added to set the waiting time in seconds during which time the screen will be blank after having shown the question for the amount of time indicated in column ‘c’ in seconds.
- You can add a second question to be shown at the same time as the answer options; in this case the ‘se’ column will be used.
Examples of CSV
1;6;5;Select the Word that is a fruit;Fruit;Pear;Gauze;Bowl;Friends;Pencil
2;3;8;Select the word that is a means of transport;Transport;Train;Sinusitis;Marriage;Fungus;Mars
The drag engine changes significantly compared to the Question/Answer mode; in this case there are numerous options that need to be dragged to many different places. The engine has four different modes internally: Order, Link, Template and Puzzle. Each of these modes has a different CSV definition.
The drag engine has these features:
- The r1-r5 columns are eliminated and now there is only the r column where elements are separated by “-“ and “,”. The “-“ separator is used to separate rows from each other and the “,” separator is used to separate columns within the rows.
- The level of questions for an activity does not support the default mode so it is necessary to specify a level between 1 and 4 for each one.
- A ‘t’ column is added to specify the specific mode within the Drag engine; the values recognized in this column are (o)rder, (u) link, (p) template and puz(z)le
- Within the answers, texts r1,r2,r3,r4,r5 and r6 represent the values of the images to be used. Texts r11,r12,r13,r14,r21,r22,r23,r24,r31,r32,r33 and r34 mark the images that will be used in r(rows)(columns) for the templates and puzzles modes.
- Order Mode
In the order mode, the idea is to put a series of elements in a specific order: letters within a word, words within a sentence, numbers, etc.
The value of the ‘t’ column is “o” for setting this type of activity, and in the ‘r’ column of answers the elements you want to display are separated by the “-“ separator. The order of appearance in column ‘r’ sets the order that has to be established in the activity.
- Link Mode
In the link mode the aim is to link a series of related elements, which also allows the possibility of linking images with text, text with images and images with images.
The value of the ‘t’ column is “u” for setting this type of activity, and the different pairs of elements that need to be linked are separated by “-“ in the ‘r’ column of answers; within each pair of elements, each individual element is separated by the “,” separator. If a literal from the following list is found in any of these elements – r1,r2,r3,r4,r5 – it will be replaced by the corresponding image from the image folder.
- Template Mode
In the template mode the aim is to copy a starting template. This only supports square templates (2x2, 3x3, etc.) and only those that have a single element to be replicated in each row.
The value of the ‘t’ column is “p” to set this type of activity and the column ‘r’ for answers describes the structure of rows and columns that make up the template. The rows are separated from each other by the “-“ separator and the columns within a row are separated by the “,” separator.
The template to be copied will be an image, p.png, as well as the files making up the template: r1.png, r2.png, etc.
- Puzzle Mode
The aim of the puzzle mode is to complete a puzzle. It can support square and rectangular puzzles up to a maximum of 3 rows and 5 columns.
The value of the ‘t’ column is “z” for setting this type of activity, and the ‘r’ column of answers describes the structure of rows and columns that make up the template. The rows are separated from each other by the “-“ separator and the columns within a row are separated by the “,” separator.
The files that make up the puzzle are image files with names such as r11.png, r12.png, etc.
Examples of CSV
1;o;Put the following sentence in order;The-cat-has-four-legs
1;o;Put the letters in order to make a word;C-a-t
1;o;Put the following numbers in order from highest to lowest;54-13-9-8
1;u;Link the image with its word;r1,Countryside-r2,Beach-r3,Moon
1;u;Link the word with its image;Countryside,r1-Beach,r2-Moon,r3
1;u;Link the image with its corresponding image;r1-r2-r3
1;u;Move the following words beneath their synonym;Car,Automobile-Home,House-Joy,Happiness
1;p;Replicate the following model;r1,,-,r2,-,,r3
1;z;Complete the following square puzzle;2-2
MULTIPLE TICK ENGINE
The multiple tick engine allows you to select and tick multiple answers in a variable sized table of options. In this engine you will find activities such as crossing out a series of letters, a series of numbers, a series of words, a series of images, etc.
The multiple tick engine has these features:
- A table is drawn up on which the elements are selected
- The order of the elements in the columns is random every time a game is drawn; the order of the rows adheres to whatever appears in the CSV
- There can be 1 or n correct elements, each element can appear 1 or n times in the table
- Column ‘n’ indicates the level; there is no support for a default level, so each question has to be set at whatever level is considered necessary
- Column ‘p’ contains the formulation of the question
- Column ‘m’ contains “-” separators for the correct answers
- Column ‘r’ contains “-” separators for the rows and, within the rows, “,” separators for the columns, with the elements that can be drawn for selecting.
- If you want to use images in the selection table, you should use codes r1, r2, r3, r4, etc. to refer to the graphic files in the “images” folder.
- In the case of “crossing out a colour”, you should write the colour name in English in lower case in the CSV. The colours supported are: red, yellow, green, magenta, blue, white, black, aqua, lawngreen, orange, sienna.
Examples of CSV
1;Cross out the letters A;A;B,A,C,F,G-M,A,P,Q,Z
1;Cross out the numbers 4 y 8; 4-8;1,2,3,4-8,2,1,4
1;Cross out the words in plural;tiles-mountains;tile,tiles,mountain,mountains-tiles,moon,dog,mountains
1;Cross out the colours red and yellow;red-yellow;red,yellow,red,blue,green,red,red-blue,magenta,blue,white,red,blue,white
1;Cross out the mammals r1-r2;r1,r2,r3,r4-r1,r2,r5,r6